Canberra High School, Canberra
The former Canberra High School, axially aligned
with Childers Street, was opened in 1939. It was designed
by architect Charles Whitley who was employed by the Department
of the Interior and constructed by H G Whittle. Its imposing
symmetrical façade is dominated by the tall central
clock tower and terminated by semi-circular ends.
There is an overlay of Art Deco detailing upon its severe
stripped classical forms, particularly in the tower and the
spandrel panels between the windows, while the wings that
extend from the eastern and western ends are simpler in finish.
The School was extended in the 1950s and 1960s and then became
part of the Canberra School of Art. The modest and simple
pavilions that make up the extensions were designed by the
architectural partnership of Darryl Jackson Evan Walker and
completed in 1980 The Royal Australian Institute of Architects
awarded the complex the first National architectural Award,
the Sir Zelman Cowan Award, in 1981.
Return to Canberra page