Australian War Memorial
Built on the site designated for a casino on Griffin plan.
Decision to erect the War memorial on axis with Parliament
House in 1923. Competition held in 1924-25 and attracted 69
entries that were all disqualified by the adjudicators, consisting
of Sir Charles Rosenthal President of the Federal Council
of the Australian Institute of Architects, Commonwealth Architect
John Smith Murdoch and Professor Leslie Wilkinson of the School
of Architecture at the University of Sydney.
Twelve entrants given honorariums and two Sydney architects
John Crust and Emil Sodersten asked to collaborate on a design,
which they agreed to do in 1926. The design was finally approved
during 1928 and work commenced (and halted) in 1929. Construction
recommenced during 1934 and was completed in 1941. What resulted
is much more of Sodersten, one of Sydney’s foremost
exponents of the Art Deco style although he had resigned before
More Sodersten works to be added.