Intriguingly, the architecture of some churches reflects the period in which they were built, whilst others recall the styles of earlier times.
St. Dominic's – Flemington, 1955
A striking design by architects Curtin & Cameron.
St. Brigid's – Marrickville, 1921
A very elegant building with more than a touch of Spanish Mission about it. Possibly designed by John Barlow, editor of Art and Architecture.
St. Peter Julian's – Haymarket , 1964
By architect Terrence Daly. Unfortunately, recent remodelling has diminished the qualities of the original 1960s interior. Despite this, it remains worth a visit.
St. Agatha's – Pennant Hills, 1982
Mosman Uniting Church, 1937
Designed by W.N. McPherson. Some finely detailed Art Deco influences. Corner of Belmont and Cowles Roads, Mosman.
St Kevin's – Dee Why, 1961
An adventurous yet very pleasing design by architects Gibbons & Gibbons. An example of concrete formed into unusual shapes.
Main picture: Interior of St Kevin's – Dee Why.
Seventh Day Adventist – Ryde , 1961
Architects: McConnel, Smith & Johnson. A distinctive landmark, it was originally built for the Presbyterian Church.
St Paul's – Seaforth, 1961
Designed by Lloyd Wynn of the Anglican Architecture Department. Quite sparse but beautiful timber detailing inside.
St Mary's – North Sydney, 1930s
A superbly proportioned design by architects Fowell and McConnel – designers of the renowned BMA House in Macquarie Street.
St. James' – Castlecrag, 1960s
By architect John Brindley. Just inside the main entrance is a relief mural by artist Bim Hilder. 184-186 Edinburgh Rd, Castlecrag.
Our Lady Queen of Peace – Gladesville, 1921
St Nicholas – Canberra, ACT, 1966
A modern interpretation of the Greek Orthodox tradition in Kingston, Canberra.
Nearby is the elegant simplicity of St Christopher's Catholic Cathedral.